Adopt a Picture Campaign Continues

 
 Last year, the Madison Historical Society undertook a major program to help preserve its collection of valuable pictures and documents. Many of these items had been framed from fifty to one hundred years ago and were in desperate need of work including the use of UV protected glass, acid free backing board, acid free matting or spacers, and rabbet sealed framing with aluminum barrier frame sealing tape. 
 
The following  items  need preservation work, and if you would like to adopt one of these items or just make a general contribution to the effort, please contact Susan L. Simon at 973-822-2377 or the Society at 973-377-0722 x8. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A circa 1932 map showing the military campaigns of George Washington and the Continental Army in and around New Jersey with detailed maps of the key battles of Long Island, Trenton and Princton, Monnmouth, and Yorktown.  Cost: TBD
 
 
 
  
 
 
 Mayor S. A. Gruver with Council and Administrators in 1939.  Cost: $79. 
 
 
 
 

 The  “Adopt A Picture Or Document Campaign” continues to help preserve Madison's historical record. Thus far, eleven important prints and documents have been preserved with modern techniques. These include the following:
 

-        Three photos showing the magnificent home of Mrs. J.M. Young on the estate known as “Ingleside" and a painting on tim of The First Madison Academy.  Adopted by Sylvia and Dave Luber.
-       A petition dated 1840 requesting the construction of a boarding house in Madison and signed by many of the original settlers in Madison. Adopted by Susan and Doug Simon and Melda Pike.
-       A print of the well-known Charles Wilson Peal portrait of General George Washington with General Marquis de Lafayette and Lt. Col Tench Tilghman. Adopted by Mary Anna Holden.
-        An original cartoon depicting Prohibition in Madison that appeared in the Madison Eagle in 1933. Adopted by Dorothy Pietrowski.
-        A portrait of the first Mayor, J.P. Albright, and Council of the Borough of Madison. Adopted by Loretta Carey
-        Photo of the Dedication of the Hartley Dodge memorial Building on May 30, 1935.  Adopted by Cathie and Bob Coultas  
-        A Map of Morris County, Its History and Progress Since 1695.  Adopted by Vally Manor Merchants, LLC.
-        An aerial photograph of the New York/New Jersey region taken from a balloon in 1871.
-        A portrait of Hon. William F. Redmond, Mayor of Madison from 1908 to 1909.  Adopted by Noreen McManus.
-        A commemorative crest painted in honor of Frank Page, Madison resident who fought in the Civil War.   
-         A 1927 group photograph of the Drew University Epworth League.  Adopted by Elizabeth Keat         

            
 
In addition to those adopting specific documents and pictures, the following individuals have made financial contributions to the preservation campaign:
            Zig Kaminski
            Dan Seidel
            Larry Taber