The Madiso The Madison Historical Society has been awarded an operating support grant totaling $9749 from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State. The grant will be used to continue work on the archaeological excavation of the Luke Miller property. This is the third and by far the largest grant given to the society since the project began in 2008.
T The panel reviewing the grant proposal included some very complimentary comments: “While the historical question being addressed is limited in scope and historical importance, the project delivers genuine value and an excellent track record in engaging young people in local history.” The review continues, “The applicant’s ability to build on past achievement, its effective use of partnerships, and the well-demonstrated evidence of interest and commitment from Madison High School were identified as strengths of the application.”
The project has been led by Dr. Ian C. Burrow of Hunter Research, Inc. in Trenton assisted by history students from Madison High School. The Miller House built sometime between 1730 and 1750, was also referred to as Miller’s Station and served as a hospitality center for officers in the Continental Army during the American Revolution.